The Plainfield Public Library
is proud to announce the annual
Short Story Contest
for Grades 4, 5, & 6
2024 Rules and Guidelines
These are the rules you must follow:
- The writing contest is open to anyone in 4th, 5th or 6th grade and begins on December 16, 2023.
- Story is to be 500-650 words long and be text only.
- Include a title, as well as your name, grade, the school you attend and your parents’ phone number and email address.
- Submissions must be a word document (Word or Google Doc). No PDFs please.
- Email your entry using a non-school e-mail address to email@example.com by 11:59pm on January 21, 2024.
- This is your story and it can be humor, mystery, fantasy, science fiction or anything you want, but it MUST BE YOUR OWN CREATION.
- Be sure to proofread your work and check for correct spelling and grammar.
- Contact Miss Jodie in Youth Services with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
A first, second and third place winner will be chosen from three divisions: Fourth Grade, Fifth
Grade and Sixth Grade. Winners will be chosen by author Julian Randall. Stories will be judged
on creativity and writing skill.
Winners will be announced at the Short Story Contest Author Talk and Award Ceremony on
Saturday, March 3, 2024 at 10am. All writers will be invited to attend in person and
will also be sent a link to attend virtually. Each winning writer will attend a meet and
greet with Julian Randall to take place immediately following the event (in person). Winning stories will be
printed in the Plainfield Area Public Library Short Story Journal for Grades 4, 5, & 6.