Borrowing Items From the Library
Checkout limits, renewals and fines vary by item type. Currently, the Library is fine-free, which means there are no overdue fines. This does not apply to lost or damaged items, or to items in the GoGo Gadget collection, for which fines are $1.00 per day. Fees for lost or damaged items are the cost of the item. If you have questions about specific fines, fees, or other borrowing related questions, contact the Check Out desk at 815.436.6639 or by email at email@example.com.
Paying Fines or Fees Online
You can pay fees and fines via the Library’s catalog:
- Go to My Account.
- From the My Account menu at the top, choose Fines and Fees.
- When prompted, type in your library card # and PIN.
- Click the checkbox next to the fines you’d like to pay, then click Pay Fines Now.
- You will be redirected to the Illinois State Treasurer’s office E-Pay site. From here, you can choose your payment method: Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Discover, and follow the simple steps.
|ITEM||DUE DATE||CHECK OUT RULES|
|Books, Magazines, Music, Video Games, TV and Movies||21 days||
eBooks & Streaming
|7, 14 or 21 days||
|GoGo Gadgets: Rokus, Kindles, & Hotspots||21 days||
|GoGo Gadgets: all other items||7 days||
|Hot Flicks||5 days||
|Hot Picks||7 days||
|New DVDs/Blu-Rays||7 days||
Picking Up Items On Hold
When your reserved items become available, you will be notified by phone, email or text notification, depending on how you selected to be notified in your account. You will have five days to pick up your items. Hold can be picked up on the hold shelves across from the Check Out Desk, or by using one of our contactless options like Curbside Pickup and the Grab & Go Lockers.
Learn more about Contactless Pickup here: papl.info/about/contactless-pickup
If you are picking up holds for another family member, a note must be added to all family accounts so staff can check out the material(s) requested when picking up available holds. Contact the Check Out desk for more information.
- Eligible items will automatically renew 3 days before they are due unless there is a hold on the item or you have reached the renewal limit.
- Items may still be renewed manually using one of the following methods:
- Online: go to My Account to log in and choose Items Out/Renewals
- By phone: 815.436.6639 during business hours
- Email: sign up for email notifications or you can send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text: sign up for text notifications (see below) or by texting a librarian at 833.208.8877
The outside book return is located on the west side of the building entrance. It is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Items may be returned at the book returns inside the Library at the top of the stairs on the left. Items can also be returned to the curbside book return, which is located in the north side parking lot by the curbside parking spots, during curbside hours.
Keep up-to-date with your library account by signing up for text alerts. With this text messaging service, you can use your phone to:
- Receive text notices about holds that are available, items due soon, overdue items and fines.
- Send a text to renew items (when available).
- Check the status of all your library items.
- And more…
PLEASE NOTE: The library does not charge a fee for this service, but your cell phone plan’s regular text-messaging rates apply.
Signing up for text alerts is easy! Use one of the two methods below.
|Method 1 – Sign up using your phone||Method 2 – Sign up using this form|
To get started, text the message:
SIGNUP+yourlibrarycard to 815.782.0523
Note: the “+” is important and there should be no spaces. (Ex. SIGNUP+21907001258061)
You’ll receive a message from Shoutbomb to confirm your PIN.
Once registration is completed, you will automatically get text notices about your library account.
Opt In or Out of Any Shoutbomb Features
TEXT the highlighted keywords shown below to 815.782.0523 to set up additional text alerts.
|Features||TEXT this keyword:||Description of Features|
|HOLDS & CHECKOUTS||MYBOOKS||get the status of all your library items|
|opt-in or out
get a list of your available items
|opt-in or out
view a list of overdue items
renew all overdue items
|opt-in or out
view a list of items due soon
renew all items due soon
|RESEND||RESEND||resend last message from Shoutbomb|
|NOTICES||NOTICES||view status of all the opt-in/out notices|
|ADDCARD||ADDCARD+librarycard||receive text alerts for another family card|
|DROPCARD||DROPCARD||end text alerts for a specific library card|
|MYCARDS||MYCARDS||view all family cards|
|IOWEU||IOWEU||view current total fee/fines|
|FEES||FEES||opt-in or out for notices about fines and fees|
|HELP||HELP||get info about all Shoutbomb commands|
|NEWPASS||NEWPASS+yourlibrarycard||update account with new PIN number
(only when PIN is changed)
|SWITCHPHONE||SWITCHPHONE||switch to a different phone|
|STOP||STOP||quit the service|