The Seed Library is returning for the 2023 growing season!
Starting Wednesday, March 1, come and select a wide range of vegetable, flower, and herb seeds from our Seed Library to plant and enjoy in your home gardens. The Seed Library will be located in the upper-level Lobby by the elevator.
All seeds are free and open to any garden enthusiast. Seeds will be available first-come, first-served (while supplies last – the Library will not hold seeds for patrons). Variety availability will change throughout the season.
Please be courteous of others and limit your choices to what you can grow in a season.
A very hearty thank you to the following companies who generously donated seeds to our Library:
Ball Seed Company | Bentley Seeds | Botanical Interests | W. Atlee Burpee Company | Fedco Seed Co. | Ferry-Morse Seed Company | Harris Seed Company | High Mowing Organic Seeds | Hudson Valley Seeds | Johnny’s Selected Seeds | Mountain Valley Seed Co. | Park Seed Co. | Pinetree Garden Seeds | Select Seeds | Sustainable Seed Co. | True Leaf Market | Victory Seeds | West Coast Seeds
Donate Seeds to the Library
Do you have leftover seeds in need of a home? The Library happily accepts seed donations to be added to the Seed Library.
A donation box is available next to the Seed Library. We can accept leftover seed packages or seeds harvested from your own gardens. If you are interested in donating seeds, please include the following information on the bag/envelope:
- Plant name
- Growing requirements (light, height, spacing, etc.)
- Is the plant poisonous?
- Were the seeds harvested locally?
- Year of purchase/harvest
The Library is excited to partner with the Plainfield Township Community Garden to offer small plots to rent for the season. The Library has plots available for a non-refundable fee.
The Library will be offering 2 plot sizes to choose from this year. There are six 5’x10’ plots available to rent for $10.00 or three 10’x10’ plots to rent for $20.00.
**All garden plots have been claimed**
The plots are available to rent on a first-come, first- serve basis. Once the plots are sold out, we will no longer be accepting applications for the season. We will contact all renters by email when rental applications are complete.
What can I grow?
Not sure where to start on a 5’X10’ plot? We’ve got suggestions! You can also check out the Old Farmers Almanac for more planting ideas.
- 9 tomato plants
- 4 pole beans or trellised pea plants and 3 trellised cucumber plants
- 8 pepper plants and 2 tomato plants
- 6 pepper plants and 4 compact climbing plants (cucumber, beans)
- 100 root vegetable plants like onions, beets, turnips, carrots
- 15-18 branching flowers dahlias, cosmos, larkspur, zinnia, calendula
- 20-24 upright flowers like sweet peas, gladiolus, snapdragons or sunflowers
NOTE: Please do not grow the following types of plants:
- Perennial vegetables and herbs (garden plots are tilled every spring)
- Ground-spreading vine vegetables including pumpkin, gourd, and melon