- This event has passed.
Multi-Library Geocaching Competition
May 28, 2020 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
June 1 to August 15
If you want to get out of the house with your family while maintaining physical distancing, try the 2020 Multi-Library Geocaching Competition. The Plainfield Public Library is one of 25 libraries participating. They have modified the program due to Covid-19, so even if you have participated in previous years, it will be different for this summer.
- Download any QR reader app onto a smartphone.
- Next, visit the ATLAS Geocaching website for your clue card. (Please note some libraries will have a delayed start date.)
- Enter the coordinates of a cache into Google Maps and go directly to that pin.
- Look at the geocache name and description because they are clues to help you find the QR code once at the library’s exact coordinate location.
- Decode the hint for an additional clue.
- Once you spotted the QR code, scan it with your QR reader and a form should appear on your phone’s screen. This is your virtual log and raffle ticket for a $25 gift card.
- Fill out all the questions (name, library card number, home library and contact information) and click submit.
- No need to touch anything or come in contact with anyone. All QR code caches are visible on library property even if the building is physically closed to patrons.
There is additional information on the ATLAS Geocaching website including a general map of participating libraries and a FAQ page. This program also has a Facebook page with regular updates so make sure you like and follow.
Good luck to all and happy hunting!